This content is available as a document with screen shots here:
This document describes the new User Management flow released 26th May 2020
It documents the changes from the previous flow and describes what happens in the majority of permutations of users being invited / self registered / added / changed to a site / tenant on the Softools platform - The following is the text from that document
In the document below we refer to the process flow in Softools and that in Softools Legacy.
We are calling the new platform (previously called V18), Softools, and the old platform is being called Softools Legacy
Changes to look out for as a user administrator
These are described in detail below, but in summary:
- There is now a Pending Users area in settings which shows all the users who are not yet validated
- Changing a user’s password is done by that user when logged in and does not require verification via email
- Softools Legacy no longer gives the option to set individual permissions on a new user addition until they have been added
- After being invited or added, once a user has entered their details via the verification process they will be logged in automatically
1 - New Settings Option – “Pending Users”
There is a new area on Softools and Softools Legacy within settings, called “Pending Users”. This holds a list of users that have not yet had their email verified. Pending users are managed in this area rather than being within the list of existing users.
2 - Invite User Process
2.1 Invites from within Softools
Invite and Add Option are available within the Pending User App Only
Invite and Add Options will not appear on User App – this may be changed in a subsequent release
Pop Up modal allows you to invite multiple Users to a set of Teams
This will send out the invitation to the Users
2.2 Invites from within Softools Legacy
Invite Option is in the Action Menu when on the List of Users
Right Pain Menu will then allow you to invite Users and specify permission sets and teams
3 - Add User Process
3.1 Adding users from within Softools
The option to Add a user is available under the “+” button in the New Pending User App in the Left Pane Menu. In a subsequent release we may also add this option to the main User App as well
The dialogue window allows the user to enter the properties for the new user, including a permission set and membership of teams. Once all mandatory fields are complete the user is saved automatically
3.2 Adding Users within Softools Legacy
User Add feature moved from + on left pane menu to … action menu when on Users or Pending Users screen.
Instead of opening a new User Record it will pop open a pane on the Right of the Screen
Option removed is the ability to set individual permissions. Apply Quick Permissions then manually override
Removal of Notes, Job Title, Department, Location as options at this point
Notification Method also removed from the Add screen
In a future release these may be added back in at the point of adding a user
4 - User Import Process
4.1 Importing users within Softools
The Option to Import a set of users via csv is within the Action Menu when on the List of Users
Drag and Drop File in to add the Users as with Legacy
4.2 Importing users within Softools Legacy
The option to Import users is within the Action Menu when on the List of Users
Drag and Drop File in to add the Users
5 - Self-Registration Process
5.1 Users Self Registering within Softools and Softools Legacy
This is the same process for both Softools and Softools Legacy for any site with Self Registration enabled
When self registration is enabled on a site, the option appear on the login page of the site in a tab
- Registration Code Requirement can be toggled on and off in the Settings within the site. If it is turned on, it is a mandatory field when self registering and the code entered must match one of the codes set up.
6 - User Verification Process
6.1 After a user is invited or added
After a user is Invited or added within Softools & Softools Legacy
They will receive link that then takes them to Login SignUp tab to complete account verification (First Name, Last Name and password if required)
Users will verify these types of accounts via the login screen
- The user’s Email address will be prefilled if they were invited (as the email address was specified at the point of invitation
- Username and email (+ First Name Last Name, other) will all be prefilled if the user was added or imported. Username can be changed but email cannot.
Once filled in the User will then be automatically logged in, without the need to login
6.2 Self Registration process within Softools Legacy
After completing the details on the registration page (via the login page) the User will be created and logged in automatically. There will be no need to verify the account via email immediately. The user will have entered valid details and a registration code if required, and an email which is not in use for that site.
The User will be sent a verification email. They will then have 30 days to use this email to verify their account by clicking on the link within the email. During this 30 days they will not be prevented from logging in and out.
- After the 30 days the User will not be allowed to login again and a user administrator will be required to send them another verification request
- During the 30 days they will be sent and email each week requesting verification as a reminder
- An attempt to login after 30 days which will fail will also prompt a new verification email to be sent to allow them to verify their account without the need for an administrator to resend a verification
6.3 User Re-Verification
Softools Legacy (Softools Screen to be built)
Invited, add, import add, still pending verification will all appear in the Pending Users List. From here a reverification can be sent.
Within the list of Pending users, a Re-send email option is available when the user needs to receive a new verification request. Clicking on the user in the list will open the profile from where a resend can be requested
Self Registered unverified Users would appear in Users List and Resend Verification can be used for these Users also.
7 - Changing Passwords
7.1 Requesting a new Password
The action of requesting a change of password for a user profile is on the login screen as it is currently. However, the current state of the user will determine what happens
- If the account is unverified and password reset is requested for added, imported and invited users, the login page will notify the user than an email has been sent but not actually send an email until account is verified
- If the account is unverified and password reset is requested for self-registered unverified users, the login page will send the password reset email out and verify the user in the process
- If the account is verified and password reset is requested
- If the password reset is requested multiple times, only the latest reset request will be valid and all previous emails (and links within those emails) will be invalid
7.2 Responding to an email
After a password reset email has been received, and until it is actioned, the user can still login using their existing password.
The link contained within the password reset request email is valid for 14 days, after which the link will be invalid and fail
Clicking on the password reset request from the login window will then invalidate all of the previous password reset
8 - Changing Email addresses
When an email address is changed for a user within their profile, the system will do the following, depending on the source of the user and the current state of the user profile.
- If the user was added via Add, Invite or Import and the user us not currently verified, change of email is not possible – the user must be removed and re-added with the new email address
- If the user was added via self registration and not verified then the new email would be immediately used as the user would be logged in and so their credentials would have already been validated
- For a verified user, the User can change their own email from within their Profile. A user can only change their own email address.
9 - Changes in future releases
As part of future releases, we are considering the following additional changes
- Allow a user administrator to change a user’s email , but the user would need to verify this change with the entry of their password after logging in.
- Added / Imported and Self Registered user pending verification could be used as part of the available user in the user team field
- This release will show all users in the team members list (within Team Management), including unverified accounts. There is a plan to differentiate these users in the teams list