Softools has now been deployed in all languages and regions of the world, and whilst each deployment is similar, each will also have unique challenges. This checklist highlights issues to watch out for, and the quick fix that can be put in place:
- Can any reports be hidden or removed? Or hidden from specific teams
- Can any Fields be hidden or removed? Good practice: fields used just for internal app workings can go into a template called “Internal fields in order to provide visibility of the workings behind some of the app build.
- Can Forms / Templates / Reports be hidden from different user groups?
Field naming conventions and standard fields for large deployments that include more than 3 apps. For example:
- All apps should have the fields RecordCreatedDate, RecordCreatedBy, RecordUpdatedDate, RecordUpdateBy
- Field names need to take into account if they are going to be exported and there is a need to see them in a meaningful manner. For example, all fields to do with dates could be called DateStart, DateEnd, etc. This means they have a consistent naming approach (other approaches are valid as long as there are consistent)
- Where possible avoid generalisations for field names such as “Description”, “Date”, “Update” etc
- Would the app benefit by breaking it into a staged release process where phase 1 gives users a really basic app so they get used to the system, the other features are added as users mature?
- If yes, define the Implementation Phases clearly and keep it simple. Phase 1 is the basic app and later phases can add complexity or for add-ons.
- For example, when implementing an audit app, the phase 1 release might be the Audit app along, and Phase 2 could add on a linked Action Tracker
- Establish process for change (change log , responsibilities, sign offs
- Establish need for offline / online and default to online
- Is the Template Help Text complete for all Templates? Template help should provide clear guidance or background on data inputs. For example, for a field saying Project Title, the guidance "what is the project title" is vague, however, "The Project Title is a brief (50 characters) name for the project which should identify what the project does or achieved” provides much better guidance.
- Is there an online User Guide that covers end-to-end operation of the app?
- Would the app benefit from having (literal field) instructions explaining how to use core features e.g. have to use the > to navigate to the next record or the paper clip to upload documents?
- Note: Field labels, report names and subnames, template names should all be user friendly and “tell the story”
- If language translation is required, ensure all help is translated and all changes are also translated
- Do we have the different user journeys / app process, and can any of them be optimised?
- Can ImageActionButtons be used to simplify navigation? An Image Action Button is a configurable button (graphic and action) that can be used to provide a pre-defined action such as navigating to a part of the system such as a Child App
- Is it optimised for a Mobile? Define the optimisation for a mobile and use the preview feature in most web browsers to see what the app will look like in different browsers.
- What does optimisation mean on a mobile and is it the same functionality?
LOOK AND FEEL
- Can Select Lists be replaced with Image lists to bring the app to life and to increase the UI acceptance? Note: only recommended for small drop down options as users don’t actually like clicking many times
- Are colours aligned: Homepage, site banner, image action buttons, image lists?
- Are Reports grouped to reflect the different User Groups or different reporting categories?
- Where styles are required, ensure they are within corporate standards
- Can routine tasks be automated using Workflow?
- Is the workflow explained to the users? For example, if clicking on a field triggers an email or changes the record permissions, consider adding this information to the app so the user understands the impact of the action
- Can UI be simplified using the Rules Engine? Consider hiding templates or system features if they are not required by specific teams
- If Logic Apps are needed, ensure they are documented within the App in the Integrate tab and recorded
Make sure at least one member of the Admin team and all internal App Builders are on the App Builder newsletters – this gives regular tips and tricks on app building best practices.
To learn more visit www.softools.net/support.
Please sign in to leave a comment.