Initiated by Softools, copying an app to another site or within the same site requires a meticulous approach to ensure the successful replication of the app while adhering to site-specific configurations and restrictions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Below is a comprehensive guide on the best practices to follow during this process:
Preliminary Information Gathering:
Original Site Identifier:
- Required for both the originating and destination sites.
- Located in the
hostnamesform within the
site propertiesapp on Softools, under the field
- Note down the ID of the existing app and the ID you desire for the copied app.
- Ensure the new ID is unique and not already in use on the site.
- For large apps, verify the feasibility of copying to prevent any disruptions.
- Ensure no ID conflicts, particularly if the app has child expressions. Ensure they link to an app with the same child ID or update/remove expressions as needed.
Elements Not Copied:
It’s crucial to note that several configurations and data will not be copied over during this process. These include:
- Form rules
- Filters on reports (may not be relevant with new filters)
- Integration links
- Record Data
- Record History
- Export templates
- Look up config
- Image action button images, links (may redirect to the old site if not updated), and config (especially concerning workflow or parent/child app relationships)
- Security settings
- Teams and related configurations (e.g., form rules or workflows referring to teams)
When importing data into the new app, especially on a different site, certain fields and elements will need extra attention:
- Person and Team Fields: The IDs won't exist; however, the _Text version can be imported if it matches a user on the site.
- Attachments: Cannot be imported.
- List Fields: Importable, but the ID for each row needs to be removed.
- Images: Not importable.
- Metadata Fields: Fields like
UpdatedDatewill reflect the context of when they were imported.
- Expressions: All will run again, updating historic data if there were past changes to app config.
By adhering to these guidelines, you ensure a smoother transition while copying an app, minimizing any potential disruptions or data inconsistencies.