In this post I am going to be showing some key points on how to make a good export to word for a project report, this can be applied across many different types of exports
Here is an example of a good export that you might want to base your current export off.
- In the top right you can see in the header that there is a logo, this is a good area to add any branding you want. This goes on to each page as its a header so no need to keep copying and pasting it across
- In the footer is a reference to the page and a link to your website, you could also add a date to know when the export was created or a disclaimer.
- A good idea is to split the export into sections to organise the layout in an easy to read fashion and use the same colour formatting as the site for the titles so its consistent
- I started off with the same layout that is on the form of the app, this helps people know where to look for certain areas if they are used to using the app. For example, actions is the last linked app so in the export they will go to the bottom as instinct.
- The app this is being exported from has a variety of linked apps so adding in reports from the child apps is a nice touch to show a more detailed overview without having to export from each app separately
- I have also added in page breaks to areas I think it could help the visual representation, so for a new report or section, it starts on a new page so its more likely to all be visible on one.
- On the reports, there is a filter on them to only export priority records, this allows for a better overview showing only relevant records and not making the report to long, for more information go here - https://support.softools.net/hc/en-gb/community/posts/360046505272-Using-A-Priority-Field-for-Reports-Exports
- I have also created hidden versions of the reports int he child that hold the important information and removed extra fields to that it's easier to read, for more information go here - https://support.softools.net/hc/en-gb/community/posts/360046240651-Creating-a-Hidden-Report-for-Exports
- For the issues grid, I built in in the export because I can choose what fields I want to show and choose the look of it, this means if you don't want to show certain fields you don't have to.
- In the budget table, I have added formatting to each of the fields for it to look better aesthetically, this was done by copying the budget export grid field to a new one that pulls from the original one's fields and then formats them so in the export I can use the _Formatted option when I rebuilt the grid .
Please sign in to leave a comment.