Templates present the data input Fields in a structured way on the screen or device. Use the Basic template builder for quick drag-and-drop with zero-coding. For more advanced (technical) App Builders, where custom styling is required, use the Enhanced template builder.
- Title: What is the name you want to give this Template? This will app on the screen above the fields that will be displayed in the Template.
- Identifier: What is the unique system identifier for this Template? This is auto-generate, but can then be overwritten if required. This should reflect the Title you have given it, but cannot have spaces.
- Help Text: What is the Help text that you want to appear on the screen when the user clicks on the ‘?’ in the top right hand corner of the screen? Note: by clicking on the icon on the right of the input field the help information can be translated and made available in other languages
How do you want the data input fields to be displayed on the screen?
- First select the number of columns that you would like to appear on the screen. Note that no matter how many columns you display, because the Softools platform is mobile optimised or ‘responsive’, Fields will automatically wrap to the next line if there is not enough space on the web-form
- Then select the Fields you want to display in each of the columns
- Then click ‘Add Item’ and the template builder will add an additional row. To delete a row from the template builder click on the ‘x’ at the end of the row. Note that some fields such as Long Text and GridFields will be automatically configured to span all columns of a row
- COPY FEATURE: A template can be copied using the ‘elipsys’ (3 dots icon) menu. This will create a copy of the template and will give the template the same ID with ‘COPY’ added. This ID can then be changed afterwards when editing the template
- DELETE FEATURE: A template can be deleted if it is no longer required. It will be removed from any forms that it appears in but will NOT delete any of the fields that are contained within the template. To delete, click on the three dots in the top right hand corner of the page and then select the ‘Delete’ feature. A pop up message will appear asking for confirmation that the template should be deleted. Click on the tick and the template will be deleted or click on the cross to return to the template edit screen
- This is where you can have a more elaborate layout for a template by customising the underlying (html5) code. This can be done from scratch or you can edit the template created by using the Basic Builder. This feature is for more advanced App Builders who have typically been trained in basic coding. Support for appropriate custom Script and Markup is available on request from email@example.com.
- Get into the habit of using the Basic Template builder even it you are an experienced IT developer. This will ensure consistency of display on the Form even with future version upgrades, and will allow non-technical users to edit the Template in the future