Selection Fields let a User choose one or multiple Field values from a pre-determined finite Select List. This list can be created in Settings or via the 'Add/Update' button below the 'Select List' property, which is what will be detailed here. A select list will require a unique system ID and a name for the user to find their created list by.
From Left to Right: Select, Listbox, Checkbox and Radio type Select Lists
Configuring a new Selection Field
To create a new Selection Field, you must first be in the 'Fields' section of AppStudio, here you will be able to click the 'Add Field' button in at least one of the highlighted locations below.
This will open the following page where you can scroll down and select the the Selection Field tile or search for it in the top right bar:
Once selected you will be presented with the configuration options below:
Note: If you intend to create a New Selection via this path, do not enter a Label and ID, as these will be lost upon refreshing the page in order for the Newly Created Selection to appear under 'Select List'. - Go straight to the '+' to the right of 'Select List'.
- Label: Visible in the App above the entry box it makes clear to the user what data is being displayed in the Field.
- Identifier: This should reflect the label. The identifier is a system ID for referencing a Field. This ID must be unique per Field and must contain only letters and numbers starting with a letter. It must also be a minimum of three characters.
- Type: The sort of Field that is being configured - With some types this can be edited in the future providing the data type is cross-compatible.
- Required: Does this Field have to have data in it before the Record can be created? If this is set and it's left blank a Validation Error will occur preventing the Record from creating / updating.
- Read Only: Makes the data in the Field non-editable (Read Only) - This shouldn't be used for Fields that require manual data entry as this makes such impossible!
- Select List: This is where you can select a pre-configured Select List if desired, or create a new selection by clicking the '+'.
This will take you to the 'Select Lists' area where you can configure new Selections as detailed below:
- Give the new Selection a Name and Identifier.
- Add Selection options via the
- Select List Type - Choose from:
- Select List Sub Type - Choose from:
- Numeric - Use if you have assigned numeric backing Values to the Text that appears in the Selection i.e. Low, Medium and High have Values of 1, 2 and 3. With a numerically stored backing 'Value' means the Selection Field can be referenced in Expressions, furthermore, this can simplify the construction of Report Filters also.
- Text - Stores a text-based backing 'Value', this can still be referenced in non-numerical Expressions by referencing the _Text Field ID in the form: [SelectionFieldID_Text]
- Expressions: These are logic statements that are capable of determining the value for a Field and can perform an extremely wide range of tasks. For more information see here.
- Include in Free Text Quick Filter: Makes the Field searchable from within a Report in order to filter down Records. It will return all Records that contain the Search Text in Fields that have this property checked.
- Exclude This Field From Templated Record Copies?: If toggled, the data in this Field will be excluded from future copies of Records, whenever 'Template Copy' is selected for the copy.
*You must click 'Save' to commit the configuration to the system.*
-After saving a Newly made Selection, go back to the original creation tab and refresh the page in order for the New Selection to become available for selection under 'Select List'.