Literal Fields display plain text and can span a whole row of a Template, this is ideal when giving clear on-screen instructions to users of how to complete the Record or to explain the data entry process. The text intended to be displayed to the user will need to be entered in the 'Default Value' box under 'Expressions'.
Tip: You can also use blank Literal Fields as Template fillers if you wish for a Field to appear in a certain place once in workspace.
Configuring a new Literal Field
To create a new Literal Field, you must first be in the 'Fields' section of AppStudio, here you will be able to click the 'Add Field' button in at least one of the highlighted locations below.
This will open the following page where you can scroll down and select the Literal Field tile or search for it in the top right bar:
Once selected you will be presented with the configuration options below:
- Label: Visible in the App above the entry box it makes clear to the user what data is being displayed in the Field.
- Identifier: This should reflect the label. The identifier is a system ID for referencing a Field. This ID must be unique per Field and must contain only letters and numbers starting with a letter. It must also be a minimum of three characters.
- Type: The sort of Field that is being configured - With some types this can be edited in the future providing the data type is cross-compatible.
- Read Only: Makes the data in the Field non-editable (Read Only) - This shouldn't be used for Fields that require manual data entry as this makes such impossible!
- Expressions: This is what you'll need to expand in order to type your text into the 'Default Value' box.
Default Value: This is what you will need to enter your text into that you want to be displayed in the workspace otherwise it will shows as blank. This can use HTML for cosmetic changes to the text
- Include in Free Text Quick Filter: Makes the Field searchable from within a Report in order to filter down Records. It will return all records that contain the Search Text in Fields that have this property checked.
- Exclude This Field From Templated Record Copies?: If toggled, the data in this Field will be excluded from future copies of Records, whenever 'Template Copy' is selected for the copy.
Make sure to click the 'Save' button when making any changes in order for them to be added to the next app version. Once you have made all the changes you need to an application you are then ready to publish it to workspace.