A Notes Field is a Text Field where only the last value is visible on the screen. All previous values are held in the database and are visible when the user clicks on the Note Pad icon to the right hand side of the the Notes text box. When expanded you can see the notes history, marked by date and time and also have the option to 'Add (a) New Note'.
Configuring a new Notes Field
To create a new Notes Field, you must first be in the 'Fields' section of AppStudio, here you will be able to click the 'Add Field' button in at least one of the highlighted locations below.
This will open the following page where you can scroll down and select the the Notes Field tile or search for it in the top right bar:
Once selected you will be presented with the configuration options below:
- Label: Visible in the App above the entry box it makes clear to the user what data is being displayed in the Field.
- Identifier: This should reflect the label. The identifier is a system ID for referencing a Field. This ID must be unique per Field and must contain only letters and numbers starting with a letter. It must also be a minimum of three characters.
- Type: The sort of Field that is being configured - With some types this can be edited in the future providing the data type is cross-compatible.
- Expressions: These are logic statements that are capable of determining the value for a Field and can perform an extremely wide range of tasks. For more information see here.
- Include in Free Text Quick Filter: Makes the Field searchable from within a Report in order to filter down Records. It will return all Records that contain the Search Text in Fields that have this property checked.
- Exclude This Field From Templated Record Copies?: If toggled, the data in this Field will be excluded from future copies of Records, whenever 'Template Copy' is selected for the copy.
*You must click 'Save' to commit the configuration to the system.*